Volume Planning, Demand Planning, Capacity Planning
IBM Cognos TM1, Revelwood Lightspeed, Revelwood Performance Toolkit
One of the nation’s largest manufacturers of roofing materials, with nearly 30 plants and a large variety of products made from different materials, wanted a more sophisticated approach to planning. Essentially, what the company desired was a solution that would deliver comprehensive functionality for operational planning and analysis to support many departments, including sales, logistics, manufacturing, operations and finance. While this may sound straightforward, the system would actually need to be very complex in order to support allocations, capacity planning at the plant level, plant shift analysis and more.
The overall business driver was for the manufacturer to optimize and create efficiencies for the products it manufactures and the associated shipping costs and resources required to get the products to the customers. Roofing materials can be extremely large and heavy, resulting in very high shipping costs. If the manufacturer could analyze the right data, it could determine the possibilities of manufacturing specific products closer to high-demand sales regions.
Revelwood implemented IBM Cognos TM1 and built several models for the manufacturer including:
- A volume planning model that collects and analyzes data by product, by region and by customer to provide the visibility needed to make decisions on what to manufacture and where to manufacture it.
- An allocations model that tracks data related to the production rates by plant. These rates factor in the type of product and the model then allocates how the products are being produced at a specific plant.
- A capacity planning model that incorporates each plant, the multiple lines each plant runs, the products per line and per hour, and the shifts and length of those shifts. The TM1-based application then reallocates back in time if the data reports that a plant’s capacity has been exceeded. But just as important as it is to understand if a plant is exceeding capacity, the company needs to understand if a plant is performing under capacity. The capacity planning model provides red flags when it sees plants underperforming, enabling management to make decisions around whether they need to add additional shifts to those lines, or to move manufacturing of a specific product to a different plant.
The system is so comprehensive it even provides plant management significant insight into their operations. They can use the TM1 models to determine the materials needed for specific products, analyze the “recipes” for those products and then make intelligent purchasing decisions for core materials. This analysis enables the company to determine a standard cost for producing each and every product.
Across the company shift managers enter statistics about each shift, enabling plant management and corporate management to perform shift analysis and look at efficiencies by plant, by line and by shift—in real time, from a centralized location. They can even perform intraday analysis on specific shifts in individual plants.
All of these models and their associated data are then rolled up into the finance system, which includes the corporate overhead model. This comprehensive approach allows the company to perform profitability analysis in an almost limitless number of ways.
Now, as a result of the TM1-based solution, the company can ask questions such as:
- Which plants and shift are under-performing or over-performing?
- How much money could we save if we moved the manufacturing of some products to other plants?
- Based on our cost per product, should we continue with the current product mix, or retire less profitable products?
While these may seem very simple questions, it takes a complex and robust system to provide the right data. And now the company can answer these—and many more—critical business questions.
With the IBM predictive analytics-based sales and marketing application, this insurance company is able to prioritize lead lists, resulting in an average 45% success rate for sales. Read More
Using IBM PCI, this B2B retailer can increase incremental sales by optimizing the advertisements it serves up to specific customers in its predictive digital marketing platform Read More
Travel & Transportation (Airline)
With an operational analytics solution in TM1, the airline is better able to identify problem areas in its operations and can understand, react to and plan for trends based on a number of variables. Read More
Media & Entertainment
Using an "ultimates" module in TM1, this entertainment company can capture the expected revenue and costs of film and TV titles and project the overall lifetime value. Read More
Real Estate Investment Trust
A TM1-based capacity planning and lease analysis solution enables this real estate company to analyze granular information by tenant, by lease and by building. Read More
Oil & Gas
Using an operational forecasting and capacity planning solution in TM1, this oil and gas company has much better visibility into its operations by pipeline, by movement and by customer. Read More
As a result of a TM1-based volume planning, demand planning and capacity planning solution, this roofer knows which plants are under-performing or over-performing and how to optimize production. Read More
Food & Beverage
With a TM1-based demand and sales planning system, this brewer can now make strategic decisions on where to invest marketing and sales support by wholesaler. Read More
With a TM1-based volume planning solution, this beverage manufacturer can now anticipate demand based on previous sales volume in many different ways. Read More
With IBM Cognos TM1, this financial services firm can more easily keep track of its clients and its assets under management to better understand how different aspects of its services are performing. Read More
Using IBM Cognos TM1, this global publisher relies on a technical planning model to perform granular, top-down planning, such as by individual subject categories and product types. Read More
With a TM1-based demand planning application, this professional services firm can analyze demand by role, project, geography and status. Read More
Since deploying an incentive compensation solution in TM1, the hotel has seen significant process efficiencies, a reduction in calculation and payout errors and improved visibility for advanced analytics. Read More
With Revelwood Lightspeed and IBM Cognos TM1 on Cloud, this investment bank extended its key financial planning and reporting information to more decision makers throughout its organization. Read More